Porridge is often described as the king of the breakfast and many people usually keep porridge as a part of their morning routine.
However, is porridge good for you? Can we consider it healthy and Can it benefit us and our bodies?
So, if you are curious about knowing more about what is porridge? And how it can benefit you, its recipe and how to make it, thus this article ultimately will help you to get this information and know more about porridge.
- 1 What Is Porridge?
- 2 Porridge In Different Cuisines:
- 3 Is Porrdige Good For You?
- 4 Porridge And Appetite Regulation:
- 5 Porridge Is High In Antioxidants:
- 6 Porridge And Muscle Recovery:
- 7 Porridge Slowly Make Energy Release:
- 8 Porridge And The Cholesterol Levels:
- 9 Porridge Recipe:
- 10 How To Make Porridge ( 6 BEST TIPS )?
What Is Porridge?
Basically, porridge is any grain, like for example, corn, rice, and oats, which is cooked through being boiled in water or milk until it turns to creamy look with a thick consistency, and just when you see this you know that this is the porridge. Sometimes porridge is also called hot cereal.
Porridge In Different Cuisines:
The traditional porridge which is famously known is that of the British cuisine, which is made of oats boiled until the oats look melted, however, It is important to know that porridge isn’t limited to oats, but it is the most famous porridge used, and it is also important to know that the idea of the British cuisine of boiling the oats or the grains in milk or water till reaching a melted thicky creamy porridge is not unique to the British cuisine, actually, there are many versions of porridge around the world with different combinations of grains, which are commonly available in those different countries.
In Asia, for example, you can find different of rice types of porridge and it is broadly known as congee. These dishes are usually made with rice boiled in water.
In South Arica and Papua New Guinea, the porridge is made of sorghum.
In East Africa, the famously used porridge is made up with barley flour and its commonly used name is Genfo.
In Russia and Eastern Europe, the commonly used porridge is the buckwheat porridge and it is famously known as Kasha.
In Southern India, there is the savory porridge which is made with semolina and it is commonly known as Upma.
There are also other types of porridge, like Ruispuuro, which is a type of porridge which is made with rye and water, and the Grits which is a type of porridge that is made from corn.
Thus, it not only oats that can be used to make porridge, there are so many types of porridge in different countries all over the world. They have different textures, ingredients, and toppings that you can choose from, and then you consider it as a part of a relatively simple dish for your breakfast.
Is Porrdige Good For You?
Are you asking yourself is porridge good for you? Are you curious about knowing an answer to this question? Do you want to know does porridge is healthy, thus the following lines would help you a lot to find your answer and know why porridge is good for you?
Porridge And Appetite Regulation:
Is it porridge good for you? Yes, it is because as a matter of fact, porridge contains a high level of fibers, this, of course, would help you a lot in filling up and losing the desire to overeat.
Moreover, the fibers help a lot in keeping blood- sugar levels, in addition to their importance in reducing the risk of high cholesterol.
So, eating porridge which contains high level of fibers would be the perfect breakfast, but it is important to wary you that adding nuts and seeds to your porridge would lead to weight gain if you eat a lot of them with your porridge, so if are following a diet plan do not add a lot of nuts or seeds to your porridge.
Porridge Is High In Antioxidants:
Still asking is porridge good for you? This answer may help.
One of the unique and important groups of antioxidants is known as avenanthramide. This group can be found solely in oats.
Regarding the importance of Avenanthramide group, it helps a lot in lowering the blood pressure levels, and this is done through increasing the production of the gas nitric oxide.
The nitric oxide molecule helps to dilate the blood vessels, thus this consequently leads to a better blood flow.
Porridge And Muscle Recovery:
Oats are rich in the content of phosphorus, and this is important as phosphorus are stored in the bones, in addition to producing energy. Moreover, phosphorus help to filter the kidneys and help a lot with muscle recovery with intense exercises.
So, you can make porridge with milk and seeds or nuts and this will create a high-phosphorus content in your meal.
Porridge Slowly Make Energy Release:
Oats slowly release crab, and this may be the reason that porridge is the perfect choice for the breakfast and may the reason of being known as the king of the breakfast.
Since Porridge contains calories, which are made up of a high amount of complex carbs, this in return help to be slowly digested and therefore this gives you lasting energy.
The delay in time that it takes your stomach to empty of food, would help the beta-glucan in oatmeal to increase your feeling of fullness. Thus, this can help you to eat fewer calories and consequently will lead to weight loss.
Porridge And The Cholesterol Levels:
One of the fibers that help in reducing the body’s absorption of cholesterol is soluble fiber, and since the oatmeal contains soluble fiber, this, of course, helps greatly in the reducing levels of the low-density lipoprotein, or in other words, the bad cholesterol, which usually causes heart attacks as a result of its accumulation in the lining of the arteries.
So, starting your morning with porridge would help to reduce the risk of having a heart attack or stroke.
Of course, now you have the answer about is porridge good for?
So it’s time to introduce the porridge recipe.
This recipe is built on the traditional British dish of porridge.
The ingredients are as follows:
- 3 cups of milk.
- 1 ½ rolled oats.
- 1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 2 medium sliced bananas.
- Pinch of salt.
Now let’s see the method of doing this porridge dish.
- First of all, put the milk in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Then, Stir in oats and salt. Put them to the boil and reduce the heat to medium.
- Keep stirring with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes or until the porridge reaches thickens.
- Remove from heat, cover it and wait for 5 minutes, until porridge gets cool and thick.
- Stir in sugar.
- Spoon into bowls.
- You now can top the porridge with banana and cinnamon and serve it.
How To Make Porridge ( 6 BEST TIPS )?
If you are really seeking to have a good bowl of porridge then the following tips would help you a lot.
- Slow cock: porridge to be good needs time, so it is better to soak the oats overnight, and regardless which method or which recipe you are going to use, the common thing is that great porridge takes time.
- Use milk: Northerners usually eats their porridge with water, however, most people prefer to eat it with 50:50 ratio of water and milk, however for a great porridge, it is preferable to use milk only.
- Pinch of salt: all recipes are better for a pinch of salt, so do not forget it while preparing your porridge.
- Oats quality: the oats’ quality, of course, is the key to having a great porridge bowl, as the more, they are rolled, the faster they will be cooked, and the creamier the porridge will taste.
- Special porridge: Adding cream to porridge would, of course, make it special and would taste amazing, however, try to keep using it on a daily basis as this will result in gaining weight after a while.
- Adds: There are many things that you can add to your porridge such as fruits, nuts, cinnamon, and many other things. All of these things will make the porridge more tasty and special.
In summary, we can say that porridge is the easy, simple and healthy breakfast that anyone can have, there are many types of porridge with different ingredients, texture, and flavors, even porridge names differ from one country to another.
Moreover, if you look closer to the benefits of porridge, you can now easily have a daily source of antioxidants, phosphorus, crabs, and fibers, all of this in return would help you to avoid a lot of health problems and would help you to be more healthy.
You can even use porridge in your daily diet plan list as it helps a lot in feeling full and because it slowly releases energy and thus your desire to eat more will be reduced.
Finally, we can say that the most important thing about porridge is just to eat it and it would be usually the king of breakfast.